Monday, 17 December 2007


No photos today, just some musing.

As I would really like to get some demo games done in 2009 to commemorate the bicentennial of the 1809 Danube campaign I will really have to crack on with the 6mm napoleonics during the next year. At a pottering rate I can turn out roughly 1 base per week for Polemos, so that is a fairly easy 50 bases in the year and probably a few more as there will be the occasional weeks with extra enthusiasm.

This means that if I don't get too side-tracked I should be able to produce 3 small or 2 large corps per side, enough for the smaller battles from the beginning of the campaign. Aspern-Essling might be possible at a stretch, but as I really want to feature Bavarians, then this isn't ideal as they didn't take part in the battle. Wagram is just too big to be a realistic proposition unless I really go overboard on the painting, and I haven't found any figures suitable for Austrian landwehr that are compatible with Baccus.

Anyway, the real interest for me is the first week of the campaign, with the French units scattered all over Bavaria with the Austrians rapidly approaching. In reality Napoleon pulled everything together with hours to spare, but the "what ifs" present lots of interesting scenario ideas.

So bck to the plan. The immidiate aim is to finish off the French corps that I nearly have completed, add a Bavarian Corps and another division of cuirassiers. On the Austrian side I'll finish off the division of grenadiers and possibly add a second, expand the heavy cavalry that I have so far (giving a reserve corps) and then produce two small corps of infantry. I was getting a bit hung up on how to represent Austrian avant-garde (advance guard) units but have decided that I was overthinking things and will just field them as a unit of infantry with plenty of skirmishers backed up by a unit of light cavalry. Both armies changed organisation through the campaign so there seems no point in getting too worried about the finer points!

I'm really looking forward to having enough stuff finished to try out a small Polemos game, this should be possible by February and this will hopefully keep the enthusiasm going.


Wednesday, 12 December 2007


Some more catching up...

Here are the rebased Austrian cavalry units that I have completed to date. Firt up are Uhlans, then two units of hussars and two of curassiers. These are followed by two command bases, one cavalry and one divisional/korps command for the infantry. Lastly come three batteries of artillery (two of foot artiller on a 40mm frontage and one of cavalry artillery on a 30mm frontage). I use the frontage distinction to make it easier to tell which batteries are which and will do the same for the French, i.e. foot on 40mm, horse on 30mm.

I have Austrian grenadiers on the table at the moment. One base is all glued up and textured, I have almost finished painting the infantry for the next - all as "german" grenadiers, and will start on a base of hungarian grenadiers next. This will give me a division of grenadiers to join the cuirassier units in the army reserve.

Monday, 10 December 2007

Le Garde

Some bits and bobs of French Imperial Guard here. I actually finished these while the blog was "off air" and they have sat in a box for a few months. In order, the pictures show bases of guard heavy cavalry (gendarmes and empress dragoons), guard light cavalry (chasseurs a cheval and polish lancers) and Old Guard infantry (grenadiers in front, chasseurs behind).

Before anyone comments, I know that the poes didn't use lances until after 1809, but as with the carabiniers posted in the summer I am more interested in the look of the thing and my poles are going to be lancers come what may :-)

Happy painting!

Wednesday, 5 December 2007


I dunno, you wait months then you get two new posts!
Here are some 40K things that I have been toying with over the last few months. I don't really enjoy 40K but am tempted to do some skirmishy-type games with it, or adapt Lord of the Rings to include heavy bolters. Mainly I just like painting a few of the figures without feeling I have to churn out a whole army.
The space marines have been painted in a "Sharpe and Harper" of the 95th stylee and have deathwatch bits an pieces added on, whereas the Kasrkin stormtuppen have more of a WW2 vibe. The bases all need finishing and the stormtroopers antennae and weaponry need finishing. I'm not too sure about the wood and brass effect.
These are also my first attempt at "proper" non-metallic-metal. The stormtrooper sarge looks better on the photo than in the flesh - in fact the sword in the photo looks pretty good I think. The space marines are less convincing but it gives a nice comic-book look. The commanders bionic arm does have a final glaze with silver though, as do the metal shoulder pads.

1. Riflemarine Harris

2. Chapter Sergeant Major Harper

3. Marine Captain Sharpe

4. Sgt Hassle and da boyz


Tuesday, 4 December 2007

I'm back!

After a long hiatus filledwith studying and general life stuff, here are the latest efforts to emerge from the painting table. This time it is 15mm WW2 Poles, based for Blitzkrieg Commander. Here is a shot of the currently completed stuff to which I will add bits and pieces as I feel the need:

And here are some close ups of specific bits:

The troops and most of the vehicles are from True North in the US and they are very nice, although the model AT guns and vehicles I found unecesarily fiddly to assemble. The TP7 tanks are from LKM direct in the UK and were much easier to put together but I'm not totally satisfied with them as they look a little "squashed flat" when compared with photos of the real thing.
I have a few infantry left to finish and these will probably end up as engineers.
In the new year I may cave in and order the True North TP7s and some cavalry, but lets see how the army fights on the table first. Tally ho!