Thursday, 29 January 2015

AWI militia WIP

Hi all

The current project involves painting up some extra militia figures then these will be combined with my existing stuff and the whole lot rebased ready for Salute.

I'm just chipping away at these in bursts of 30-60 mins each evening.

Sunday, 4 January 2015

Happy New Year

Hi all

Posts have been sporadic lately, largely because I've not been doing much wargaming "stuff".
I have been planning out my projects for the next few months and they boil down to these:


  1. Get everything ready for the Guilford Courthouse Black Powder game at Salute in April. I have just ordered the last couple of buildings I need. Ideally I'd like to get a couple of hills made and I do need to refresh and rebase my militia as well as add in some new command stands. There's also the need to get display materials made and organise the support crew. Fortunately James, Scrivs, etc know the ropes and it is pretty much the same gang as Keren last year and Dux Bellorum in 2013.
  2. Chain of Command for my WW1 British and Turks. Not sure how this will work out but I'm going to give it a go. I need to do something with the collection so if CoC doesn't work I'll scout around for something else.
  3. 6mm Napoleonics. Time to refresh the rules. I have spent time thinking about how to get the "squares" rules to better represent cavalry and I think this will just boil down to them only needing one action (not two) to initiate an assault OR give them one extra move when assaulting OR both. But I need to playtest these.
Now, there are lots of other things competing for interest (hello WW2 15mm and 28mm Late Romans), but I think I'l try to stick to the ones above for now, at least until Salute is out of the way. The AWI might get a rest then, or I might begin the expansion into Hessians and/or French.

cheers
Steve

Saturday, 13 December 2014

WW2 experiment, Sgt Pizl rides again!

Well, I have not been feeling the love for painting medieval infantry so they are on the back-burner for a while.

After Christmas I'll be cracking on with the planned Guilford Courthouse game for Salute. I need to reorganise and supplement the militia as well as finish painting a couple of buildings.

In the meantime I fancied some fairly low-effort WW2 gaming. As it would take far too long to train an opponent for ASL (Advanced Squad Leader) I wondered about using the components and the basics of the rules but combining them with the activation mechanism for Chain of Command from Too Fat Lardies to give me a quick and easy platoon-level game.



All in all, it seems to work. I played the "Patrol" scenario from CoC using half of ASL board 6 and two platoons following the recommended OOB from CoC. Sections were represented using one squad counter as the riflemen and one half-squad counter with a LMG and the, err...LMG team. Each section was accompanied by a 7-0 leader and the platoon commanded by a 9-1 or 9-2 leader, possibly assisted by a 8-1 platoon sergeant. Anti-tank teams were represented by a half-squad with the recommended weapon and mortars were crewed by a crew counter. I pitted a 1944 German platoon against a 1944 British platoon. So extra supports were used.

The Patrol Phase worked fine using large concealment markers as patrol markers and small concealment markers as jump-off points. Patrol markers had to stay within 3 hexes of each other.

Deployment from jump-off points was permitted within 2 hexes for regular troops (1 for green and 3 for elite) and the actions allowed were as per CoC depending on the action dice rolled.

Movement, firing, morale etc were all as-per ASL.

I played a number of phases, but there were not enough 6s rolled to change to a new game turn. I chose to leave desperation morale (DM) markers in place, only being removed if the game turn changed. Not sure about this; needs more testing. Leaders were allowed to attempt self-rally if activated by the relevant "3" or "4" action die and if successful could attempt to rally subordinates/teams in the same hex.

Senior leaders were allowed to activated adjacent hexes at the same time to create opportunities for greater firepower, otherwise firing was by one hex at a time, with a staking limit of two teams per hex (and any number of leaders).

The fairly vanilla set-up gave a pretty straightforward game. The British got the jump on the Germans due to a fortunate first set of action dice allowing them to deploy all three sections immediately and grab some good positions. The British platoon mortar also proved helpful; dropping some HE on Germans in some woods and taking out a section.

Next time I'll add in some support options and see how it goes, maybe even an armoured car or other light vehicle. The good thing with using my old ASL collection is that I have a LOT of stuff to choose from.


Tuesday, 4 November 2014

Knights WIP nearly there

Only a little more work left to do on the knights and I have also rebased my previous unit. The latter are based on the chaps from Ibelin from the movie "Kingdom of Heaven". Lastly is the figure I originally painted to be Richard I but who will now probably appear as King John.

Saturday, 1 November 2014

Knight banner bearer WIP

Big banner now in place, folded and shaded. The pole still needs repainting.
I have also started on a smaller second banner for the unit.

Friday, 31 October 2014

Knight Banner WIP

The main banner for my knights. Still needs folding, shading and highlighting but I'm pleased with the freehand so far.

Thursday, 30 October 2014

Knights WIP update


Still a way to go, not least a couple of banners, but most of the painting on the figures is done. The leader's sword needs work and there are highlights to do all round.
Not sure whether to add dust and mud splatters at a later stage.