Monday, 24 February 2014

Painting Update

Back to work after half term with the family. As lunchtime beckons I thought I'd post a quick update on what I have painted last week.

All are 28mm AWI:

Guards light company, 8 figures from scratch, based
Guards grenadier company, 8 figures from scratch, based
Guards 1st battalion, 15 figures retouched, based
Guards 2nd battalion, 15 figures retouched, based
Royal Welch Fusiliers, 27 figures retouched, basing to finish
71st Foot, 29 figures retouched, 5 more to paint from scratch, basing to finish
33rd Foot, plastics, 13 figures assembled and painted, 17 more to do, no basing yet
Officers: 1 mounted officer from scratch, four others retouched, one foot officer from scratch. Basing to finish.

As well as this there was the rebasing of some of my older rebel units.

Not bad all told.

I have decided to do Guilford Courthouse at Salute 2015 and will kick off my build up to this at Cannon in Retford on 30th March with a scenario based on the battle of Wietzel's Mill.


Sunday, 16 February 2014

Base renovation

No pictures yet, but I might take some later on.

I have had a busy weekend refreshing the bases on my older units of Continental infantry to bring them up to a similar standard to my more recent units.

As well as doing this I retired a few figures from the 6th Maryland to have new facings painted and these chaps joined the 5th NY to expand it to a full 5-stand unit. I then back-filled the 6th Md with some freshly painted troops in hunting shirts and touched-up the flag.

Lastly on the painting front I have begun work on the British Guards flank companies for Guilford Courthouse, etc; and a new version of Lt Col Webster.

I also re-configured a few command figures to create a specific command base for the Maryland and Delaware line. This is the first stage in re-vamping all of the rebel commanders.

Additionally I have been giving thought to rules, specifically pulling a few bits from "British Grenadier" and Henry Hyde's "Shot, Steel and Stone" and bolting these onto the basic "Black Powder" system. As part of this I have been giving some real thought to how to classify units and represent them on the table. I have sort of settled on the following for games set at the usual scale of a unit being several companies or a battalion at roughly 1:10 scale:

Tiny units: up to 6 infantry or 3 cavalry, assumed to be in skirmish formation
Small units: 8-12 infantry or 6 cavalry
Average units: 16-20 infantry or 9 cavalry
Large units: 24-30 infantry or 12-15 cavalry

Small units are being based on 3 x 4-figure elements in most cases as they simply look better this way than being squashed onto a smaller frontage (see my recent post about rebel light infantry). My Guards flank companies will be based as four bases of four figures each (8 grenadiers and 8 light infantry) so they can be fielded as two small 80-man units or one 160-man average one.

The plan after this is to use Perry plastics to field the second Guards battalion and a new "campaign" version of the 33rd to complete my Guilford CH army (currently the 33rd still march in full warrant uniform).

I'm still deciding what to do for the AWI game for Salute in 2015. Guilford Courthouse is an obvious one, but I wonder if Eutaw Springs would be a bit different. This would mean painting up the 3rd, 63rd and 64th regiments as well as a few new provincials and the South Carolina Continentals. Another possibility is a "what if" as I have done before, assuming Camden never happened and Greene was able to field a more complete Maryland Line as part of his army to thwart Cornwallis (who would likely also be reinforced to some extent, probably by some of the units otherwise occupied in Georgia). Really this is just an excuse for a really big Southern battle :-) Plenty of time to decide...

Tuesday, 4 February 2014

Rebel light infantry

Just some quick shots of two units ready to take to the field.

Firstly is my take on the foot component of Lee's Legion. Accounts of how this unit may have appeared are sparse so I have made similar assumptions as I did for the mounted element. The cavalry are in green because they were confused at times with the British Legion who wore green. I have given the infantry a similar appearance, using the figures specifically made by the Perry twins, but avoiding the lilac "romper suit" effect. As at least one account mentions a blue uniform faced red, I have included one officer figure so dressed. As with the cavalry I have chucked in a few figures in hunting shirts (riflemen in this case).

The second unit is not new but is re-based and represents Kirkwood's Delaware infantry as they may have appeared at Guilford Courthouse. These men were the remnants of the superb Delaware regiment that marched south with the Maryland Line in 1780 to be destroyed at Camden. They were used in Greene's army to supplement William Washington's dragoons as a sort of ad-hoc legion.

Saturday, 1 February 2014


OK, so its not exactly Constable or Turner, but I'm pretty pleased with how this has turned out.

It is a backdrop to help with photographing my miniatures, particularly the 28mm ones. I think a different one would be needed for the 6mm napoleonics.

The whole thing is 6' x 2' and was constructed by recycling the very first game board I ever made. There is a frame of softwood covered with some hardboard held in place with panel pins. Some old shelf-brackets are screwed into the back to make sure it stays upright. As with most of by DIY there is an element of bodging but I think it will do the job ;-)

The painting was done mainly with some cheap tester posts of emulsion and some odds and ends knocking around from other projects so I think the whole thing cost around £7 with some green paints left over.