The King's Royal Regiment of New York, 1777 (Saratoga Campaign)

My latest completed AWI unit is my interpretation of the KRRNY as it may have looked during the Saratoga campaign of 1777. The regiment formed part of the small force under Lieutenant-Colonel Barry St Leger (breveted as Brigadier General) who advanced along the St Lawrence with the intention of seizing Fort Stanwix.

There is an active KRRNY re-enactment unit whose informative website covers the history and uniform of the regiment during the war. For my tabletop unit I have chosen to follow an interpretation of the evidence that suggests green coats with red facings and buff turnbacks/lining. Smallclothes are also buff and the centre companies wear regular cocked hats, with some uncocked. Potentially the unit may have shortened its coats and converted their hats into caps in the same manner as the British army undertaking the Saratoga campaign under General Burgoyne. I have restricted the wearing of caps to the KRRNY light company.

At present I have not put together a grenadier company. This is not to say that there was not one in 1777, I have no information to confirm this, or that one was present with St Leger. I could always come back and add one later of course!

Centre Companies:


For these chaps I have used bodies from the Perry Miniatures plastic Continental Infantry box. Arms and headgear are a mixture, some from the Continentals and some from the British infantry box. Around half of the figures are equipped with tumplines from the British box. 

To get a green colour that I was happy with I made my own mix, a 2:1 blend of Vallejo Olive Green and Vallejo Russian Uniform.

Figures are based in 3s on 40mm round bases from Warbases. Basing materials are my usual dry mix, torn grass matting and static grass along with some bits of gravel from the garden that I painted up. The circular bases are a bit of an experiment to produce units suited to small battles/large skirmishes in woods and wilderness. They work quite well with the mix of poses I think.

Here are some more photos:





Light Company

As shown in my previous blog post these figures also have the green coats and red facings. These figures use Perry metal "Saratoga British" figures with shortened coats and headgear modified into crested caps.


Regimental command:

Lastly I have assembled a command stand for the regiment. This time we have four figures on a 50mm round base. Three are from the Perry metal Saratoga British standing command pack, the fourth is an indian also from the Perry metal AWI range:




All in all, I'm pleased with how these have turned out and the impression given by the round bases, especially for the centre companies who capture that open order look of formed troops fighting in woods.






 

Comments

  1. Beautiful unit Steve I love the idea of the Native as part of the command stand, will pinch that idea. Interesting to see how the round bases work out. Hope that doesn’t mean you will need to rebase other figures ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look amazing! What a fantastic looking unit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful looking regiment Steve!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment