Saturday, 28 February 2015

AWI Second Line (6)


A quick (and dodgy) snap of a few figures that have been lurking in a box for several years awaiting a unit to be recruited into. I gave them a quick wash with GW Devlan Mud and re-highlighted them. These will now mix into the Virginia militia as ex-continentals.

The next batch of 15 chaps in hunting shirts + civilian clothes have been block painted and will get their wash today. Hopefully they will be finished off tomorrow or on Monday evening. 

After that I have another 16 similar figures to do, a few militia in shirtsleeves and some uniformed command figures. I also have a 6 pdr and limber to paint up along with a quick refresh/rebase of some old artillery crew figures.

I do also need to take a fresh look at my British Legion Cavalry, who at the very least need their bases bringing in-line with the rest of the collection. I don't want to do too much else to the unit as they are all conversions of Foundry Continental Light Dragoons, so are unique. Since these were done in 2001/2002 the Perrys have produced proper BL figures but I'll stick with the chaps with greenstuff hats :-)

Everything seems to be going OK to be ready for Salute, where our game will be GA 15. I also hope to make the game at Cannon on March 29th a dry run of Guilford Courthouse.

If I also do a game at Partizan on 31st May than I might go back to Camden 1780 as this was the battle I originally collected and painted for and it might be interesting to reflect on how much or little the collection/rules have changed and also on how much more popular the AWI now is a period compared to when I put on the demo at Salute 2002.

7 comments:

DeanM said...

They look very nice, Steve. The stain and highlighting method is very effective.

Steve said...

Not just effective. Above all it is quick! :-)

Mind you, having gone back through blog posts in 2007-9 I have been using washing techniques since before there were washes...

cheers and thanks
Steve

Mike A said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike A said...

(Corrected my poor grammar!)

These are looking really good :)
I am inspired to do some AWI myself...

AJ (Allan) Wright said...

The wash techniques used on these are very effective. I like the shading and the 'wear' the washes simulate on the clothing. Well done.

kingsmtminis said...

All this work and still using the wrong figures for Highlanders.
Scandalous, I say!!!

Steve said...

Still the best figures available I say !!! :-)