Monday, 13 September 2010

Lee's Legion (2)

Above are the figures for the light dragoon element of Lee's Legion as described in my earlier post. A few figures have been undercoated before, hence the black bits.

Below are close-ups of "Light Horse Harry" Lee himself:


...and the same figure now I have started painting him!:


I'm not using "dip" on this figure but once th abasics have been done I will use a variety of GW washes and use some other glazes that I'll make myself, before adding highlights.
cheers

2 comments:

Bedford said...

Interesting stuff Steve. The conversions are simple yet effective that's for sure.

I'm going to be watching how you progress with painting the chap on the hoss- takes me back to the days of my "Just Add Water" blog and the "Darren Harding Method".

Seriously though, I have tried dip (mainly to knock colours back)and found it to be quite unwieldly and certainly unforgiving. There's nothing wrong with washes in my book and I look forward to seeing the results.

Darrell.

Steve said...

Hi Darrell. I'll see how the dip goes. I'm trying on the guards first as they "have it all" - while waistcoats, redcoats, etc so if it works for them it should work for most troops. If it proves too unwieldy (and I see where you are coming from) I will try cutting it down with some yacht varnish or something similar to reduce the intensity of the end effect. I have been using washes and glazes as part of my standard repertoire for a while now so I'm optimisitic I can make it work one way or the other!