Terrain Workshop IV

Some further work in progress.

First, the ongoing production line of rail fences. These are being based on some stripwood I bought that has bevelled edges (4mm thickness). The rocks are aquarium gravel and the posts and rails are made from matchsticks "roughed up" with a craft knife:

Some more fences here. These will eventually become picket-fences:
Here are some finished boards. All of the boards have patches of light flock in the corners so that they match up like geomorphic boardgame maps:

Here is an almost finished board with a small ravine carved in, filled with bushes etc.


Lastly, the start of a board into which I am carving a river. The basic watercourse was carved out with a screwdriver and craft knife, then filled in with plaster filler. The rock faces are made with cork bark. I managed to buy a large piece of bark for £15 from my local petshop the other week. This is much cheaper than the small pieces you can get for model railways. It cuts quite easily with either a ripsaw or pullsaw. Still a LOT of work to do on this one. This is a corner-bend of a river, I might also make a straight piece. I did consider simply buying a ready-made river board from TSS, but I think they look a bit too artificial as the rivers don't wiggle around enough.


Cheers!



More work-in-progress shots





Comments

  1. Hi
    A good job. However I think that some terrain items, f.e. the cultivated fields, are of limited utility: the troops could not stand vertically on they!
    Any solution?
    Regards
    Rafa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rafa

    All of my troops are on "element" bases of between 3 and 6 figures so they will stand up on pretty much anything. I could have made sections of the fields removable, but it seemed a bit excessive.

    That said, I agree that the fields have some limitations which is why I have limited them to just a few! I also opted to make my boundaries removable, so I can use walls, fences or hedges- this way, those fileds could "crop" up in the USA, Britain or Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good effective looking fences, they look the biz with troops lined up behind them. Nice looking terrain pieces.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment